Update 2: From the Independence Institute, energy blogger Amy Oliver notes NREL’s managing company is a 501(c)3, and therefore not subject to open records laws. She also outlines a few more details–NREL saw funding INCREASE 63.4% from 2007 to 2010, to more than $500 million.
Update: Alliance for Sustainable Energy assumed operations of NREL in 2008 for $1.1 billion over five years. Nearly $300 million was appropriated for contractual work at NREL (operating as Alliance for Sustainable Energy) through ARRA funding.
From the Denver Post’s Chuck Plunkett:
In both a symbolic and real-world blow to green energy development and the jobs renewable industries are meant to create, the National Renewable Energy Lab in Golden announced significant job cuts today.
The Golden lab — which saw tremendous investment as part of President Obama’s stimulus efforts — said it will use voluntary buy-outs to cut 100-150 jobs.
Meanwhile, the spokesperson for Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D) laments the loss at the “crown jewel” in the nation’s green energy economy.
NREL has sponsored many Colorado projects through the Department of Energy, including a fledgling Abound Solar that later earned a $400 million loan guarantee from the DOE.
Meanwhile, the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment will have to subtract a few more green jobs from its current estimate.
Praise for PPC From Our Lefty "Fan"
- "Zany-ass bombast-entertainment...Hackneyed weirdo communist pseudo-nostalgia" --Alan Franklin, ProgressNow
- PPC Training for Activists
UPDATE: Something apparently got messed up with the PayPal buttons during this past weekend’s database glitch – fixed now. Yes, it’s that time again — PPC will be conducting training classes for center-right activists on Saturday, April 20 and Saturday, April 27, at Independence Institute in Denver. The tentative class schedule is as follows: Saturday, [...]
- Holder’s First Letter to Paul Precipitates the Best Filibuster Ever
- The Lamest Twitter Argument Ever Offered?
- Return of the PPC Re-Education Camps – You Know You Want to Be There
- Supreme Courts Blesses Warrantless Surveillance of Citizens in a Kafkaesque Farce
- GOP Elite and the Ruling Class
- Do We Now Get to Call Joe Salazar a “Rapist”?