by T.L. James | 10:01 pm, July 13, 2009 | Comments Off
A fine little cartoon from the Prelinger Collection at the Internet Archive: Make Mine Freedom (1948)
Watch as the silver-tongued snake-oil salesman for “ISM” (and you know which “-ism” he’s talking about) makes his sales pitch to a bunch of squabbling citizens, and then is taken to task over the “fine print” in his bargain offer:
It’s hard to imagine such a film being produced today, especially for the middle/high school demographic at which it appears to be aimed. At the very least, it would be criticized for presenting a far too rosy picture of the benefits of capitalism while ignoring the terrible, horrible, awful consequences all that prosperity and plenty has inflicted on the natural environment and the social landscape. Balancing material would be required, highlighting capitalism’s irredeemable history of despoiling the sacred and unspoilt wilderness for profit while stealing the masses away from their happy if short-lived poverty and spiritually rewarding if physically crushing manual drudgery and forcing them into the wage slavery of the modern factory or the veal fattening pens of the white-collar cube farm.
And of course, the sterotypical villain would be right out.
Praise for PPC From Our Lefty "Fan"
- "Zany-ass bombast-entertainment...Hackneyed weirdo communist pseudo-nostalgia" --Alan Franklin, ProgressNow
- PPC Training for Activists
UPDATE: Something apparently got messed up with the PayPal buttons during this past weekend’s database glitch – fixed now. Yes, it’s that time again — PPC will be conducting training classes for center-right activists on Saturday, April 20 and Saturday, April 27, at Independence Institute in Denver. The tentative class schedule is as follows: Saturday, [...]
- Holder’s First Letter to Paul Precipitates the Best Filibuster Ever
- The Lamest Twitter Argument Ever Offered?
- Return of the PPC Re-Education Camps – You Know You Want to Be There
- Supreme Courts Blesses Warrantless Surveillance of Citizens in a Kafkaesque Farce
- GOP Elite and the Ruling Class
- Do We Now Get to Call Joe Salazar a “Rapist”?